Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Clock is Reset

Oh avid readers you are in for a treat.
Another seizure=another six months of blogging.

It only seems fair since I realized that each time the brain clicks off I learn new things about myself and the impact of epilepsy.

One thing I've learned is that I really REALLY pissed that I can't drive for another six months (you have to wait to see if anti-convulsive drugs are doing the trick before insurance companies will cover you). So I'm being a good citizen by reducing my carbon footprint, shopping locally and online, carpooling and all the other things that come hand-in-hand with not driving.

On the upside, skyrocketing gas prices aren't really a big deal for my budget (sorry everyone else).

On the downside, I'm not free to go do what I want when I want and get frustrated by my lack of independence. A lot of normal American life isn't really designed for the carless. Yes, if you live in a major metropolis or an environment that otherwise caters to not having a car (i.e. college towns), its not too bad. But for the rest of the world, double the time it takes to do everything.

It's giving me new appreciation for why it is so difficult for those who can't afford a car, also can't seem to get it together and "pull themselves up by their bootstraps." Its not just the economics of their situation, it is the reduced access to time. Access to time gives us opportunities to uncover creative options and tap resources and relationships that take time to cultivate. Without a car, it is more difficult to physically travel to resources that can change your circumstances. In rural areas, it is virtually impossible.

I'm smart and social with an extensive network of people to tap for help (thanks friends!) so I can't really complain or feel sorry for myself. "Make it work" tends to be a mantra.

Of course, I'll offer you tips when gas hits $7 a gallon this summer and you join the carless crowd.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lawdy! I'm sorry to hear that.

Although, getting around campus can be quite a bit of a hassle. Especially if you're a pre-vet major and your classes are "down on the farm" over two miles from your dorm.

Partial seizures don't make this any easier. My butt hurts.

I've been practicing my networking skills, so whenever I have to go somewhere that's too far away to hoof it I can depend on my peeps.

I do have one question for you, Emily. When you were in school after you were diagnosed, did you have to go to your college's ADA office for anything?

Brother Mat said...

So is NYC some epileptics fantasy? No one drives and lots of people are around to limit the possibility of seizing the day alone.... Oh, and also, once you get past the traumatic part of the entire experience, you could probably collect landmarks to have seizures in. So when relatives and friends visit, they will be like, "Can we visit the Met?" and you can respond, "The Met? Seized there."

"Statue of Liberty?"

"Yup, in the concession area!"

"What about Yankee stadium?"

"I fit it out the park, yo!"

"Surely not Ellis Island?"

"Sad stories about immigrants have always made me convulse, even before my diagnosis..."

"St. Peter's?"

"Hello, of course, Unitarian!"

"Have you seized in the subway?"

"Pfft, that's so cliche..."
and so forth.

Conversely, the in-between realm of limbo must be especially bad for epileptics with the limboness and all. Do Catholics speak to this? Wait, didn't they abolish limbo? because it's a nutty idea?

But even if it did exist, would a seizure-- the Grandest and Mal-inest seizure of them all-- be preferable to limbo? I mean, what else are you doing?

Can you do a blog about famous epileptics? That would be cool.

KristinJune said...

I kind of envy you.

I am in the position of selling my old truck and acquiring a new(er) car, which requires taking on a car payment (which I haven't had in months) and increasing my insurance coverage (by triple!!!).

Anytime you need a ride and you are in New Mexico, I am your woman. I will be upgrading to a more fuel efficient vehicle, thus reducing my carbon footprint, and my truck will be put to it actual intended use -- construction, and not some young college girl's whim for a "ride" in the country.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry that you had another seizure, E^2. i read through your whole blog archive and am both bummed that you have had so much to deal with and really impressed by your witty style of writing. hope the meds work for you!

Bitches Bruze said...

I'm kinda wishing you'd let me put a motorcycle helmet on your head and then, even at $4 per gallon, I can still afford to cart that very sexy, sequined... derriere of of your's around.

:)

Any time you need a ride for an Albany Area thingamabob I'm going to, you know how to reach me. I'll switch to car (I suppose - whines).

Brother Mat said...

NO!!! KRISTIN!!! NOT THE TRUCK!!!

After all you and that truck have been through....



Hey, Emily. Tell Kristin to keep her truck.

Emily Menn said...

Ashpaz-In answer to your question (Emily. When you were in school after you were diagnosed, did you have to go to your college's ADA office for anything?)

I wasn't in school, so I didn't have the opportunity to tap those resources. If anyone has info on resources within institutions or organizations that might make an interesting post.

Stacey--OMG I'm thrilled to hear from you. I'll have to do the the whole facebook/myspace stalking to "catch-up" thingy.