Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rats: Vertigo with Very Cuddly Cats

Whoo hoo-- a reason to write again. The best thing about having a seizure is getting to sleep 18-20 hours without any guilt about laziness. Of course this is always balanced against the vertigo, puking and panic.

So I enjoyed a new version of the complex seizure--the sleeping version. Just to remind you, the partial complex seizure is uber space out where consciousness just sort of checks out. I had absolutely NO idea that I had a seizure Tuesday night.

The warm-up to this performance was a subtle version of the feeling of feeling off on Tuesday. It was momentary feeling of the stomach churning, shortness of breath, feeling almost drunk. I cringed from the idea that the brain might check out--after all it has been almost six months.

But Wednesday morning after the routine "no brain required"--cat feeding, dish washing, NPR listening, coffee making--got complemented by dizziness. Lack of caffeine right? Need sugar!

Hahaha...not quite. Have you ever tried to stand on a balance board or those jumping balls with the foot platform from the late 80s that must have caused some awesome concussions. That unbalanced feeling was coupled with the dizziness of being on a merry-go-round that was really getting to hit warp speed. In other words Vertigo!

Okay, now is the time for the pry yourself away from the computer for the physical challenge. Stand up, start spinning and do not stop for at least three minutes. It may be wise to do this within crawling distance of a toilet or bucket. While still dizzy do some hard core head banging. Oh yeah, you got it now. Send me video and I'll laugh and post it to the internets.

I enjoyed a similar feeling to what you've imposed on yourself; crawled to the bathroom, barfed, called my boss to let her know I probably wasn't going to make it in that morning (I did think I could join a conference call scheduled for an hour later, which showed earnestness but not a firm grip on reality). Barfed some more and make a nest of towels on the floor.

Then it got fascinating--a good friend called me to check in. Thoughtful, but kind of confusing-- what could provoke such thoughtfulness? Apparently a 12:30 am phone call in which I mentioned that I was having a panic attack. I have zero recollection of that call.

The following 18 hours I got to sleep with an extremely cuddly cat nuzzled under the covers. She reminded me to take it easy with gentle pressing of her needle claws every time I went to get up. Her brain was razor sharp and priorities less muddled than mine. I do have a tendency to feel guilty if I'm not being productive when I don't have the capacity. The reverse is more my modus operandi.

Today there is a bit of fallout--that goodness for spell check as the letters aren't necessarily flowing from the keyboard in the proper order. I am doing a lot of editing and worshiping at the spell check altar. And there is the overwhelming need to blog to remedy guilt from not blogging; an urge to listen to Numa Numa; and eat Skittles for breakfast.

If I can get a recording of the voice mail that left, I'm certainly going to post it. It is waaay to interesting an opportunity to miss. What weirdness lurks in the heart of Menn? Only voice mail knows!

No comments: