"Will she have a seizure when I'm with her? What do I do?"
"But she seems so normal (considering)"
"Will she swallow her tongue or drown in the bathtub?"
"What can I do to help?"
This is a normal reaction and one that I've had myself in the last month. About a month ago, I had the second grand mal seizure (the losing consciousness, falling to the floor, twitching kind that comes to mind when you hear "seizure") in my life. I woke up in the emergency room and started a new phase of my life.
Now the disclaimer, this blog isn't designed to give medical or legal advice or answer all the questions that readers may have about epilepsy. It serves two purposes:
- Describe one person's experience adapting to a new condition--something that many people go through when they receive an unexpected diagnosis like cancer, Grave's disease, or high blood pressure.
- Distinguish between a condition and a person--my brain not only holds my personality and thoughts but it is also the source of my epilepsy. They are forever one and the same, intertwined until I die.

2 comments:
My Dad has epilepsy. He does well with the medications, and drives truck for a living. If you have any questions, maybe I can relay them to him to get you some answers.
MLE once seized so hard that France surrendered.
Seriously, I think this blog is an awesome idea. Mostly because we all get to hear the ponderings of Emily, which I know, I have missed. Also, regarding those thoughts that have crossed your friends's minds:
"Will she have a seizure when I'm with her? What do I do?"
Yeah, I guess this is a worry, but not much. I mean, even before the diagnosis we (your friends) had to ask, "Will she clumsily fall down the stairs when I'm with her? What do I do?" or "Oh no, Emily has a wacky plan with great benefits, but with terrible consequences, and she needs a getaway driver...What do I do?" Both these questions are still more likely to come up than the your elevated chance of seizure. :)
"But she seems so normal (considering)"
I have never, ever thought you were normal.
"Will she swallow her tongue or drown in the bathtub?"
Ah, the age old question, what do you throw to an epileptic having a fit in the tub? A: Your laundry.
"What can I do to help?"
Yup, I thought this, and any help you need, I got your back. Generally, though, I'm pretty resolved to treat you like Emily circa 10/2007. Though I am more likely to include dilantin in the cupcakes I make for you... but only slightly (given the already high amount i have been slipping you).
Anyway, the diagnosis probably sucked, and you can count me in as a friend whose got your back. I also have a ton of epileptic jokes. If you're not a fan, I can just make fun of nasty short people-- i know how you love that :)
Post a Comment