The artwork is a remodeling of a first person shooter video game first created by an American then co-opted by Al Quada in Iraq, then turned into art. It raises questions about identity, . The piece wrapped around the idea that an enemy is a matter of point of view--in a first person shooter game, your role is to shoot the enemy. It is simple to see them as the target rather than a human opponent with whom you have the potential to connect. When a player takes on the role of Jihadist, the enemy is an American soldier or vice versa.
It's cancellation sparked controversy, discussion (including signs on sticks), gnashing of teeth, posturing, interesting insights and an opening for questions that go beyond the work itself.
To a jaded American Gen-Y like me, the game is more likely low grade entertainment than a means of persuasion to a political ideology.
But I have the luxury to be jaded. The game in itself might have a greater affect on my political view if I felt all I cared about was under siege. Feeling persecuted and threatened is why some Americans and Iraqies react similarly though they stand on opposite sides of a battlefield. As the volume increases on the "they are evil and must be eliminated" track, it fills up the mental space for wrestling around with quieter, nuanced ideas.
Sometimes there is a stillness in the wall of sound that lets you hear a new idea. Last night's discussion had a lot of "the country is going to hell because of George Bush and the war and because not everyone bought their tickets on the peace train." I don't disagree but I do find it a trying and dull way of exploring an idea. Blaming trumped strategy. Attendees were earnest advocates for their point of view on both sides, but they didn't listen to each other so much as talked to their own camps. Listening to the sound of your own voice interrupts the opportunity to learn or challenge yourself.
So my response is to email, post and blog about the issue. Here's what I sent out:
-----------------------
Pissed or Pleased at RPI's Art Shut Down? --leverage the internets for discussion
Leverage the internets by submitting a link about Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 's controversial move to shut down a work called "Virtual Jihadi," by Wafaa Bilal, an artist-in-residence at RPI, which is the latest in a series of video games inspired by the Iraq war.
Direct link to artists website:
http://www.wafaabilal.com/statement.html
Here are a couple of news stories with good coverage (nice portals):
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/03/11/rpi
Chicago Trib: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-iraqi-artistmar10,1,7450842.story
Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030703445.html
You can submit the story to:
http://slashdot.org/
http://digg.com/
http://www.boingboing.net/
These sites tend to direct amazing amounts of traffic to posted resources. You don't have to id yourself in submitting something. It at least gets the conversation about the limits (if any) of artistic freedom during a time of war spread to a wider audience.
Or you can sit on your hands, whine and do nothing like a pansy. :)
em
-------------------
I can be kind of blunt when trying to motivate people.
There may be emerging themes that get refined here over the coming months. The first is that we default to expending most of our energy clinging to our beliefs and habits rather than evaluating them. For example, I've invested thousands of dollars over the years to hold onto my caffeine addiction rather than question why I need it. "I'm not addicted [to coffee, this point of view, routine]; I can quite anytime I want [i.e. never and calling me out could cause drama or petulance].
Another theme is "take action." Do something. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be attempted. Its the counterweight to malaise of habit or over evaluation. Not thinking critically is suboptimal but over thinking can be just as stagnating. Writing is working for me--it makes me face a fear (sounding stoopid), feeds the ego a bit (kisses to commentators), holds me accountable and gives a framework in which I can test and reevaluate ideas and opinions. It's not perfect by any means but it builds skills incrementally and glacially changes my habits and attitudes.
What's the connection to epilepsy? Well the same techniques can be applied to internal tendencies and educating others about the condition. There's always a controversy to respond to in a number of ways: pissed off and stomping or moderately thoughtful or a nice blend of the two. I haven't even touched on healthcare or disability rights yet. Is there such a thing as a can of thoughtful whoop ass?
Follow-up 3:16 PM: Troy shutters site of 'Jihadi' video game, Sanctuary for Independent Media: Doors at issue

2 comments:
I remember when I could alter Castle Wolfenstein with an Army of Darkness mod. Nazis turned to Zombies, my Avatar turned from American Hero to Ash (also American Hero, Bruce Campbell) and every time I used my shot gun he'd yell, "Boomstick!"
Such simpler times.
great mod, btw.
Hmmm, reminds me of http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/
Post a Comment